Shi Yuqi ( 石宇奇 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Caffrey, Nov 12, 2015.

1. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Both SYQ and KM are players nearing the end of their career imo. Their confidence isn't there anymore.

2. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Something happened in the second game, and he screwed up, idk what. If he wants to keep his number 1 status in the team, it’s essential he does well in the next few tournaments and avoid losing to any of his teammates for no reason again, in fact he have to prove in training that he can beat LSF. if he can get back to world no 2, he would be fine. I think axelson has too much points for anyone to bother catching up.

Honestly i think it’s mental and he needed sun jun but since its all Chinese affair he could not get that.

#542 Justafan90, Mar 19, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  3. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    He is a champion. All he need is just to play more without injury. Should qualify for OG. The rest will have to battle for it. ;)

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

No doubt, Shi Yuqi is a highly talented player - he has some notable results to show for - but, unfortunately and mostly, held back by his mindset, more negative than positive, even self-defeatist sometimes, which translates into an obvious lack of self-confidence and mental strength.

I'm earnestly hoping that one day he can just simply let himself go, don't think about the end result but take it one point at a time, one game , one match, one tournament , and even one opponent at a time; above all, play freely as if there's no tomorrow, not caring about winning or losing, and just enjoy himself thoroughly.

Yes, Shi Yuqi, just enjoy the process without putting any pressure on yourself to perform. Be yourself and do what you love for the game of badminton itself and let nature take care of the rest, whether success or failure. What have you got to lose that you've not already lost ?

At the very least, you know you've done your very best and gave it your all.

Shi Yuqi, Just Do It ! All The Best. JiaYou !

Suilven likes this.
  5. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

this is what lky is about and not a good thing bro!!
    careful brother what you wish for .... you've got a good player here both mind and physical on the uptrend, form rising with paris coming......today axelson was just a little bit better, i think momota, syq are closing in and can win against him soon...

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I understand what you mean, he's resurgent just like Momota now, all the more I want him to let himself go and play freely without any self-imposed pressure.

For that a change in mindset is required but it has to come naturally by not overthinking but simply enjoying the process of doing what he love of the sport, only then can he be himself and play to his true potential.

As it is, both SYQ and Momota are showing signs of resurgence but still not completely out of the woods yet. My worry and fear is that if they continue to be so near yet so far in winning, esp the higher tier tournaments, by flopping at the final hurdle no matter which opponent is waiting for them in the finals, be it Li Shifeng or VA for SYQ, or SYQ or someone else (VA ?) for Momota - these two who appear to be on the verge of making a successful comeback might suddenly lose heart and the will to persevere to the very end. Then everything would quickly unravel and that's it, the end, game over.

At least, for now, Momota is talking positive in post-match and -tournament interviews, that's the right attitude, shows self-motivation and a healthy dose of inner belief, the key to success. But we've not heard such positive language from SYQ yet, not that I know of, perhaps not reported in the media up to this moment.

At most, right now, I'd say for these two former top achievers, the two-time WC Momota more than SYQ, they are at the end of the beginning of their respective comeback trails,I believe it's still anybody's guess whether it's Mission Impossible or Ultimate Success for both or either one of them. For sure, I am waiting with bated breath to see how they will fare during this ongoing Olympic Qualification Cycle all the way to the Paris Olympic itself though I must admit my favourite is actually Li Shifeng despite his nascent stage on the road to glory is not nearly comparable to the young Lin Dan, Chen Long or Lee CW at similar age.

7. Justafan90

i actually think SYQ is almost back at his best. Probably only second to viktor. As long as he keeps going and stay injury free, he should be golden by Paris.

Suilven likes this.
  8. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

I wish I could share your optimism but I think Paris is a bridge too far for SYQ,
    the take away from todays defeat is he fought till the end and didn’t capitulate,
    as Justin said just enjoy yourself and take it game by game,
    bring the best version of you to the court and the results will take care of itself.

Justin L likes this.
  9. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

The more I think about SYQ’s predicament, the more I feel the sun is setting for him,
    the next wave is coming up in the shape of LSF and WHY.

#549 Suilven, Nov 19, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
    Justin L likes this.
  10. Justafan90

You dont think he played really well against viktor? He lost because he still cant beat viktor yet similar to other players. But i think he could have won if it was anyone else.

11. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

I did think he played really well, pretty much the same level as he did in the semi’s against CTC,
    Viktor is just everyone’s Everest.

I feel at some point China Badminton will start looking over his shoulders and put their efforts in honing the next gen,
    so his days at the upper echelon are numbered I think, don’t know,
    let’s see where his mindset is at the China Masters.

p.s. I retracted my lament just incase it’s too soon. :p

12. viver

viver Regular Member

I think the match between SYQ and VA could have gone either way. VA was better mentally and physically especially towards the end of the second set. SYQ lost the final 3 points, I think mainly mentally and stamina wise his shots lacked consistency. I do believe he would be up at the top 3 level shortly if he commits to improve these aspects.

13. Justafan90

I just saw on twitter, Viktor is skipping the china masters so the field is wide open. Will SYQ be too tired after playing all the way to the finals in Japan though? I hope not but we’ll see

Suilven likes this.
  14. CLEAN

CLEAN Regular Member

Noticed in this tournament that Shi Yuqi is slimmer and moving better. Optimum weight -- balancing power against mobility and stamina -- may be key for him.

Suilven likes this.
  15. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

Ooo…nice prospect to see who comes out on top now Viktor is bypassing China Masters,
    he’s actually looking fitter than I’ve seen him for a long time.

16. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

He’s certainly looking in good shape, yeah, he’s more chisselled and lean,
    so much so a poster on another thread said he suspects he’s on something, hope not.

He’s also hitting his targets extremely accurately, the game in question semi’s against Chou Tien Chen,
    once he found his range, he was on it, firing down the line and all over the court too,
    the amount of tight net shots caught the tape going over was insane,I thought Chou Tien Chen played very well too.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

With due respect to Viktor, I beg to differ that "Viktor is just everyone’s Everest", metaphorically speaking.

In my opinion, he's not in a class of his own. Even if he's Mt Everest atm, he has been "scaled" (conquered) several times by different players since his first world title victory in 2017 before failing to retain the crown by losing to Chen Long in the QFs the following year, and then becoming Olympic gold medallist in 2022, namely, by Prannoy (3X ?), Loh Kean Yew, Lee Zii Jia, Lakshya Sen, Ng Tze Yong, Kunlavut Vitidsarn, the reigning world champion, and,who'd have expected, Lee Chia Hao (!).

Right, VA is no longer the world champion, as for the future, only time will tell. So, in a way, I'd say VA is more like first among equals but beatable.

18. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

Welll…I might have been a bit over the top with my analogy,
    let’s downgrade VA to a mountain then, “everyone who faces VA has a mountain to conquer “.

I didn’t realise so many has been successful, only one that stood out was Momota.

19. Justafan90

The thing is besides momota, players occasionally manage to beat viktor but rarely are able to consistently.

20. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

That’s very true, let’s hope that changes soon and one or two can step up and keep him honest consistently,
    a Federer, Nadal and Djokovic rivalry scenario will be good thing for Badminton. :cool: