Maybank MALAYSIA Open SS Premier 2015 : SEMIFINALS (4th April 2015)

Discussion in 'Yonex Sunrise India Open / Maybank Malaysia Open 2' started by aulia, Apr 3, 2015.

1. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Since I don't think this has been answered so far: All complaints about umpires should go to the referee. In this case, that is Carsten Koch ( carsten.koch<insert '@'gmx.net ).

However, a generic "I don't like this umpire" complaint is extremely unlikely to be helpful, and thus will have little effect except you appearing to be a lunatic. Therefore, your complaint should go into more detail of what do you think is the precise problem with the umpiring to avoid

So can you elaborate what your problem is? I assume you are arguing for one or more of the following:

1. The umpire / service judge should not have called faults because there weren't any under current rules. Technical officials are sometimes wrong, and precise video material (like Hawk Eye) can show that. The public videos don't show LD's feet, so aren't of any help here. If you have high-quality video material, please do publish it so we can all review it and incorporate it into future umpire training courses and discussions.

2. The umpire / service judge should not have called faults despite them being warranted. Umpires can sometimes be lenient towards faults. In fact, if an umpire is not sure a fault has been committed, they are encouraged to let it slide. Needless to say this is a really weak argument.

3. You are discontent with the way the umpire handled the fault calls. That's probably the strongest argument - I personally think the umpire's (and to a lesser degree the service judge's) hand signals are not as clear as they could be, and turning off the microphone may be questionable.

4. You want to change the rules (or regulations). If that's the case, do not contact the referee. Instead, contact the BWF Technical Officials Commission. If you really want to effect change, you should found a movement to change rule §9.1.2 and convince a significant number of high- and low-level players, coaches and officials before addressing the commission.

5. You want a better visual presentation. If that's the case, contact the video team / tournament organizers. There's a strong point to be made that the camera could show the hand signals and a view to judge the faults ourselves, if necessary in instant review. Of course there is a financial trade-off - sure, with a hundred instead of a dozen cameras we'd have way better pictures, but it would be prohibitively expensive.

6. If you want better commentary, contact the commentators. That's one thing I'm thinking about preparing and eventually doing myself ;) , with a list of esoteric things to know about umpiring. In particular, Gillian Clark and Ian Wright may want to review rule §16.7 and RTTO §3.3.1.3.

#621 phihag, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2015
  2. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    Li LW was older than Susi S, that's why they cannot be compare each other, though they already played together (H2H LLW 2-0). if your idol wants to be the greatest, how come they cannot be compare each other ? :eek:

btw, Susi was older than LXR, 20 years gap, never played one on one, but since you consider Susi was greater than LXR, so its ok to compare, right ? :rolleyes:

I know your way of thinking.
    if it is for your / your idol advantage, then it is ok to have a debate, right ? ;)

ok, since LLW and also Han AP was much superior than Susi, then how about comparing Gong ZC with Susi ?

Gong is 7 years younger with Susi, pretty the same with LLW and Susi.

so lets compare susi with gong.

inexperienced gong zhichao, especially in major events (UC, SC, Oly, WC), but she still can win a title by defeating susi in the same tournament ?

even H2H is 3 - 1 for gong, as the only victory by susi is in jakarta, while gong's victory is in neutral country.

one thing you must know, Gong Zhichao and the others China players also stick to WD or XD for many events, while Susi is active in one discipline only. susi never played WS and WD / XD in the same event since 1991 cmiiw.

with so many obstacle, and also without huge points from uber cup and olympics, how come gong can overtake susi in world ranking ?

not only overtake susi, but also ye zy, han jingna, zhang ning, wang chen and many more ???

thats why I said, the competition in susi's era is not as tough as LLW's era. that is for sure.

compare susi's era with LXR's era...then who knows which one more difficult since they never played each other ???

hmm, totally biased...

#622 Fortune, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  3. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    yeah, I already said, susi is one of the greatest, but surely not the greatest. even there is a big gap between her and the #2 (HAP), not to mention the #1.

but that's the big problem. for her fans, susi is #1 no matter what the fact is

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Good effort by Fortune to start comply with Oldhand's request but can do better.

Even I am guilty of using initials. I agree with Oldhand - we should be using names of players rather than initials. It's also more respectful to the players.

5. aulia

aulia Regular Member

student
    Susi Susanti ftw! :D

Well, I agree that we should write the name. I will remember this next time I wanna write player's name, hehe.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Excellent post. I have copied it and put in the rules subforum as a sticky. I have changed the email slightly so that Mr Koch potentially gets less spam.

7. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    You are aware that Gopichand has a superior H2H against Lin Dan aren't you?

8. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Hi. Are Shaheer Sheikh and the Pandavas still in Jakarta??

9. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    yes I know. even not only Gopichand, but also another 2 - 3 MS also has positive H2H against Lin Dan. so what ?

the greatest does not necessary to be perfect.

no one has :
    positive H2H against any opponent
    won all of the tournament
    own all of the world record

consider that no one is perfect, so we don't have the greatest player of all time in any sport include badminton ?

10. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    You can't have one standard for LD and another for SS, can you?
    Lets just say for you LLW is the greatest WS player (because she played doubles, lol) and for every non Chinese out in this world SS is beyond comparison. Lets agree to disagree.

11. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
  12. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    read again post 622
    is it only H2H ?

no world ranking in there ?
    no other factor ?

do you think Susi is the greatest, right ?
    so, is she perfect ?
    is she has positive H2H against every WS ?
    is she holds the entire world record in badminton ?

to have any discussion, since this is only for Malaysia SSP, lets move to here :
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/871-Gong-Zhi-Chao/page4?highlight=gong+zhichao

13. Lokesh

Lokesh Regular Member

business
    wrong post in wrong thread. Oops

14. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Let me restate. Lets agree to disagree.

15. aulia

aulia Regular Member

student
    LOL! They should have a body double so they can work in two places! :D

16. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Their domestic fan bases (esp. girls) are missing them. Send them back.