Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

And it was a late challenge that granted by the Umpire.

After Kevin was confronted by Conrads in the previous game because Conrads thought Kevin killed a loose shuttle in purpose (of what? really):rolleyes: Kevin didn't know it was a fault when he hit it and immediately apologized to Koldings who had managed to bend down and cover his head because the shuttle landed close to him and Koldings accepted it, but Conrads had to make a scene just because it was Kevin.

Didn't approve what Kevin did after the match, but never liked Conrads either.

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The challenge wasnt late...no looking at or talking to coaches, no long wait.

Whether Mads confronted Kevin in the previous game because of who he is or if he would've done that regardless of who it was is pure speculation.
    I certainly have seen that particular situation happening many many times, because it's considered quite unnecessary and rude to endanger another player like Kevin did. I understand he didn't mean to (Mads Kolding ducked his head forwards after Kevin looked at him iirc), and saying so is usually the end of that situation - I don't know what he might have taken offense at, I certainly didnt see anything I'd consider provocative on Mads Conrads' part.

Anyway, my main issue was the very inaccurate portrayal of the LD situation, which newer fans might be unfamiliar with as it happened 11 years ago...he also didn't make any gestures after the match, I might add ;)

I'm on the same page as you regarding the conclusion - never had any thoughts about Mads Conrad one way or another, really, and I really didn't like that gesture at all. Worst reaction after a match I've ever seen, but it's in the past and I actually don't think Kevin would repeat it if he were in a similar situation today.

3. Thunder Hand

Thunder Hand Regular Member

Definitely he wouldn't repeat it, lot of indonesian fans were against him that time (deservedly so), even big social media account like badmintontalk made an article about him and criticize his behaviour that time if I remember correctly.

Kevin is indeed a unique character, in Indonesia he may be the ahtlete who has the most fans, but also at the same time he has a lot of haters (that doesn't like his behaviour ofcourse).

4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I thought it was uncalled for and unnecessary from Conrads. Anyone would have done what Kevin did there, and I even had seen players got hit right on the head but never seen the partner confronted the hitter like that.

Kevin did it in a spontaneous matter, and it was harshly criticized by the association. Also what minions said about the umpire being racist and all lol. It was a big misunderstanding which resulting a really unwelcome outcome.

5. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Kevin has haters in his own country? Hard to believe. I thought everyone loves him.

6. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Good to see someone gives Marcus credit he deserves. I think this part is underrated. Given their style, it is natural that one of them makes many errors during an off day. It’s hard to keep your frustration to yourself.

7. tepokbulu

tepokbulu Regular Member

[​IMG]

#4827 tepokbulu, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

As I said, I don't hold anything against Kevin, but I most certainly get where Conrad's was coming from. Having gotten a normal net kill in the eye before, I certainly don't want to see anyone get smashed in the face. With that shot, the eye would've been gone. Around here, it's common to aim a hard kill away from a player who can't escape the net area. From Conrads' perspective, it might have looked like Kevin aimed the shot at Kolding, or like he didn't care if he hit him - and he simply walked up to the net and talked to him. No gestures, no shouting. I really don't see why anyone can take offense at that. The reaction to end it quickly would've been "Sorry, didn't mean to hit it at him, he moved after I looked away".

That you've never seen anyone confront a player about this seems a bit weird to me :D maybe a cultural difference. I've seen it at all levels of play, so that's not it.

There's a headshot compilation on YT, almost every single one of them has an apology in it, and several have the partner confronting the 'offender'.....Ill see if I can find it when I get home, but it should be easy to find as it's by one of the more popular badminton channels.

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The concept that someone would defend a deplorable action just because the offender shares a nationality is so strange to me, man :D but I know why you stressed the part. Fan bases in general tend to be pretty damn nationalistic, in some countries even more than others.

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Flawed logic. "He is overreacting, even the r*pe victim did nothing" doesn't hold up either, does it? Unless you know for sure, you can't know if he overreacted or not. I wouldn't judge "Please don't blind my partner, mate" as overreacting. "Must feel good to finally have a chance to get even, eh midget?" would be. We'll never know for sure :D I'd lean towards the former option though.

11. tepokbulu

tepokbulu Regular Member

[​IMG]

#4831 tepokbulu, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  12. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Doesn't matter. Because in fact, Kodlings had his head low down. And Conrads was mad not because where the shuttles were aimed at. But he was confronting Kevin because the loose shuttle was supposed to be a fault as Conrads returned it after it touched the floor behind Koldings. Kevin didn't know so he just hit it down. And Conrads thought Kevin did it on purpose killing it when it was a fault and came over to the net and "talked" to Kevin over the net. Nobody knew what's going on until a slow replay played showing that the shuttle indeed had touched the floor before returned loose by Conrads.

All I was saying that it was a really heated match.

I have never seen it in bwf tournaments so far. I know ZN had been hit on his head , didn't see his partner confronting the opponents.

13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I'd rather Marcus get annoyed with Kevin's error more than him getting annoyed and frustrated by his own errors.

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

15. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Ouch..
    This was a very different situation from Kevin and Koldings.
    That's why usually (top experienced) players just turned their body away from the net when there was a short lift close to the net, not lowering their head. Protect yourself better, don't expect opponents to do it.

16. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Minions will face MAS pairs in the first two rounds. In QF probably either Fajar/Rian or Ko/Shin and Li/Liu in SF?
    Though I personally hope Ou/Zhang would make it through from qualification to QF:p

17. sen

sen Regular Member

I am not sure whether they are "haters". Some Indonesians in the social media like to comment things and sometimes provocative. Even though what Kevin wrote or what he did are not intended as bad, they are often misinterpreted.

I don't know why some view Kevin as bad boy or to the point of trying to endanger others. I believe that he is not in the same league as some real bad boy like Taufik Hidayat or Bodin or even Ashton Chen.

I never read he is posting something like "I am the best" or trying to convey that the others are inferior. In fact, I think he hardly mentions those men doubles players that he often clash with on the court.

18. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

If minions can make it all the way to SF & meet endo/watanabe instead of Li/Liu, how good that would be? Slow hall + strong defense :D

19. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I dont think its a slow hall, not a big hall. think the capacity is less than 4000 people.

DenmarkOpen draw later...

20. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

If Endo/Wata can win Li/Liu, why not? A good test for minions patience and focus :).