Danisa Denmark Open 2017 (October 17-22, 2017)

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by Master, Oct 16, 2017.

1. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    No he did not, it's exactly same as it is here in our country.
    Academics is always first, also it's kinda true that most sportsperson aren't good at studies, which so to speak can be said parents not always allow their "future" in the shackles of "injuries/failed career/short careers" and as badminton is still not a "rich sport" and doesn't allow you to earn huge fortunes (easily), yes the choice is often too difficult to make.

Aventus likes this.
  2. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

I wonder why can't players be in National team and also stay with parents to continue their studies as well alongside. And doing the time management accordingly. Is it possible?

I was just asking question to @Cheung. Yes. I know Even in India parents give importance to Studies only. They do not even try to think any other option unless they themselves love sports.
    Even in one of the interview of H.S.Prannoy highlights it. He said that his parents gave him some time to pursue his career. If it did not workout, he has to return back. Fortunately, he won Silver medal @ Youth olympics.

Aventus likes this.
  3. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Probably, added to the fact that being embarrassed in front of an interpreter is better then be embarrassed in front of a whole crowd who is speaking english

Cheung likes this.
  4. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

This is why old players like Lee Hyun Il, LD and LCW are forced to pace their game throughout the tournament. They can't play an attacking style like Srikanth Kidambi for the whole tournament because older players don't have the energy and stamina for it.

There was little that Lee Hyun Il could do against Srikanth. It's obvious Lee Hyun Il spent his energy and stamina in all the other rounds, but his body could not recover in time for the finals (the commentator noted that he spent the last of his energy against Son Wan Ho).

Anyways, Srikanth Kidambi has been having a great year. He was doing quite well at the WC but then he lost his rhythm against Son Wan Ho in the WC. On his best day, Srikanth Kidambi can probably beat LD, Viktor, Chen Long, and LCW.

This is one of the few times in badminton in the last 15 years where there isn't a dominant two or three players at the top. I think the best 5 players in the world are LD, Viktor, Chen Long, LCW, and Srikanth now, and they are all capable of beating each other. I think Chen Long is under performing but I don't doubt that he can get back into form since he is still in his late twenties (unless he is suffering from some type of injury).

Aventus, badmuse and R4yZ0r like this.
  5. Master

Master Regular Member

I'm believe it's still possible doing study and badminton along together but the players should have a strong determination to split their time.

That's why there is sports event for university student named Universiade (Summer Universiade and Winter Universiade) and also World University Championships. Some players usually choose to take special schedule for their study with block system applied in their university so they study only on Saturday and Sunday, do training on Monday until Friday. If there is a tournament played, they asking for dispensation from their uni.

Ko Sung Hyun for example, after he retired from Korean national team, he continued his study and take master degree on sport psychology subject.

Aventus likes this.
  6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    HK Badminton Association used to discourage training and also studying. You had to go full time into badminton, presumably without distractions.

I think they have relaxed that rule now.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

for the majority, yes, because what else will they do? So they try badminton as a career. Some have done degrees after finishing playing career but I would say it is a very much a minority.

Having said that, one HK player did a part time degree on line from a midranked UK university whilst playing on tour. Also went on to do a Master's degree.

Even ten years ago, online courses were still in their infancy. More options available these days.

Aventus, badmuse and Baddyforall like this.
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Personally, I feel it's better to have players have options to have educational courses as a professional badminton player. I think it can only benefit their feeling of self worth and help think more critically with a holistic approach.

I mean, we have people who work 50 hours a week doing their professions and doing part time courses. Why not badminton players like how the Danes do it?

badmuse and Baddyforall like this.
  9. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Last time I remembered both Tian Qing and Zhao Yunlei have 5, then that can't be right. Unless I saw wrong. But ZN was with ZYL when I assume he got those stars. IDK, I find this star thing with the Chinese team fascinating. LOL

10. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

5 Star is for those who have won World Cup.

11. GingerCorslette

Okay I stand corrected, TQ actually has got only 4.

12. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I really like this 'star thing' actually. Me personally, I kinda want to name it as the Supreme Grand Slam if a player really have 5 stars, giving a really established status as a superstar of badminton.
    My interpretation of the stars are actually the Thomas/Uber, Sudirman, Olympics, World Championship and All England.
    I do not know precisely what are the correct one though. Someone knows?

13. R4yZ0r

R4yZ0r Regular Member

Student
    1) Retired 2) Started playing in 2010 3) Started playing in 2008
    Age-wise, yes, the Hong Kongers are around the same as LCW and LD.
    But I wouldn't classify them as the same generation, considering they didn't play in the same years as the legends hence having less years under their belt and lesser toll on their bodies.
    I should have specified when I meant "oldies" I was referring to the LCW, LD, Taufik, Gade, LHI, Bao Chunlai generation.

Aventus likes this.
  14. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Wow! Unbelievable! Who would have imagined this few years back! .. When i was new on this forum, i used to follow Indian flags on tournamentsoftware.. Only saina used to reach till quarter finals. Rest all names (if at all!) used to be eliminated in the qualifiers. Then slowly they started reaching round 1 round 2. They have come a long way! Would like to see an exclusive doubles academy in India.

15. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

The Danish commentators believe they are World Championships, Olympics, Sudirman, Thomas/Uber, Asian Games. Sometimes they say Asian Championships instead of Asian Games but I think they mean Asian Games. Regardless, Zhang Nan has won all of them. But he only has one Thomas Cup victory (2010) and in that event he only played one insignificant match in the group stages, hence my guess that Thomas Cup is the one missing.

Do we have anyone in here who actually knows what each of these stars means and which one he is missing?

Aventus likes this.
  16. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

If compared to 2007-2008 SS titles, India and Japan has improved immensely as well. Indonesia has always been good in MD and that will give like 8-12 titles or less. China has regressed. Korea as well.

Aventus and badmuse like this.
  17. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Further, Tian Qing has also won both Asian Games and Asia Championship.
    Maybe this discussion should be in China player section hahaha Can it be the China National Games though?

18. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

The World Cup that has not been held since 2006?

This World Cup is also mentioned here (The Five Stars Printed On Their Kit ?) with the addition that it changes to Super Series Finals. If that is correct, and the fifth star is not Asian Games but instead the Super Series Finals, then that is what Zhang Nan is missing. He has not won that.

Edit: That is incorrect. Zhang Nan has won the Super Series Finals. My bad.

19. GingerCorslette

I don't think she has the latter? Plus, I also think she hasn't represented China in Sudirman Cup...

20. GingerCorslette

Okay so I stand corrected again. TQ has won Asia Championships, but hasn't played in Sudirman Cup. So that's my bet as to the last missing star.

Is there already a thread for this topic?