Danisa Denmark Open 2017 (October 17-22, 2017)

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by Master, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

Just watched the XD final...that post-match interview was a travesty.

First off, both HK players definitely speak Cantonese, and most likely English as well. The fact that Suet was struggling to put together a sentence in mandarin shows that it’s not her first language, and likely Tang’s mandarin was even worse, hence him declining to speak.

What I’m guessing is more like they were told by their sports administration to only conduct official interviews in Mandarin. Otherwise they would have had a Cantonese interpreter, or just spoken English. What a back-handed slap in the face.

2. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

What? You must be kidding me. This is simply unbelievable. Hating some country becomes some norm and inevitable today?

Let us just stick to the topic instead of giving some unnecessary judgements. This behaviour is totally uncalled for.

3. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Chill I am sure he was "trying to be humorous" (completely failed :p ) with reference to members here or something of personal incident

John I'm, swsh and samkool like this.
  4. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

It's a misunderstanding! @Yoji just meant the Indian umpire wanted to wrap up quickly to watch an Indian play. It was said in humour and he was trying to be friendly. Earlier he also said, he wished some other countries like India wins in doubles. :)

swsh likes this.
  5. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I find a few umpires quite chivies as well. There's also that lady from England (I think she was in Sindhu vs Okuhara) that manages to sway my point of focus from the players onto her sometimes. I personally don't care one bit about who is sitting in the chair and I definitely didn't tune in for them so I'd rather them intervene less than more unless something absurd was going down. (mild rant on strict umpiring from a casual viewer)

Extremely happy for Srikanth. This after the win over axelsen has to be a massive boost in confidence for him in all of their future encounters I reckon. Future of MS looks more brighter than I thought after WC and Japan Open. As for LHI, what a tournament from him. Wow.

#1065 swsh, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    badmuse and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  6. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    I think rather than stamina, it was more with reading Srikanth's shots. I dont think LHI was tired. It's just that his anticipation fell short and depends on it quite a lot. Nonetheless, a fabulous week of badminton.. Credits to both the finalists. Well played LHI. Wishing to see more of you before you retire.

Aventus likes this.
  7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I think it is quite hard to find a Cantonese-to-English interpreter in Odense, whether for free or otherwise. So they have to make do with a Mandarin-to-English interpreter.

visor, renbo and Cheung like this.
  8. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

Nope, he does not. She called 8 service faults on him at European Games. No other service judge comes close and no one else called a single service fault on him in that tournament.

I don't think so and I certainly don't hope so. I think it's an attempt to make something fairy tale ish dress because Odense is the birth city of Hans Christian Andersen.

It can only be Thomas Cup. He was on the winning team in 2010 but only played one match, which was insignificant, against Peru in the group stages. He was not on the team in 2012. He has won everything else.

#1068 Hassefar60, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Or speak in English which they were not comfortable with.

I'd guess that Tang is less proficient in languages and has had less experience doing interviews.

10. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i believe it's also a team vote..."who do we look up to as a team leader..." a sign of respect...

11. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Maybe they were shy, so when asked if they wanted Chinese interpreter they said yes, perhaps without realizing it was mandarin

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Not realising it was Mandarin? Nah.

13. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I mean, I have experienced that some people call all dialects "Chinese" (and correctly so). For example, the Chinese University is "Chinese" or 中文. It does not stipulate which dialects. So maybe the danish organiser said to the player "do you want Chinese interpreter?" and they said yes without thinking too much

pcll99 likes this.
  14. trackwhack

trackwhack Regular Member

SS singles titles in 2017 so far
    India - 6
    Taiwan - 3
    Denmark - 2
    Japan - 2
    Malaysia, China, Thailand, Spain, Indonesia - 1

These must be difficult days for @Justin L seeing Indians at the top and China at the bottom.

Just saying.

Aventus likes this.
  15. Master

Master Regular Member

Mark Zwiebler, Wei Nan and Hu Yun should be added there

Aventus likes this.
  16. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Well the thing with China is even 4 or 5 Singles SS titles is considered failure with the rosters they have (LD CL still playing) but with 1. Some players should just retire.

17. Baddyforall

This is an open forum where people can express constructive criticism in order to see our sport growing all over the world and to gather all the like minded people in terms of badminton. Let us not take anything personally . The goal should be to spread this sport to even the remote areas of Africa. Not to spread hatred.
    India did improve in singles area. But still long long way to go in doubles . China is doing extremely well in those areas. We should respect them.
    Hope somebody sketch the statistics of doubles titles as well.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

Petersen, pcll99 and Hassefar60 like this.
  18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I am quite doubtful. I have a feeling they were given a choice and chose the stronger language which was Mandarin.

In daily life, they don't get to use English despite being an 'official' language. Also, if they were good enough to have learnt English to a good conversational level , probably their other school subjects would have been pretty good and they would not have chosen badminton as a career. That is just the mindset of how local Hkers view career choices. Just to emphasize, this is not an attempt to criticise nor demean them.

19. Baddyforall

Do you mean that badminton is the final destination if nothing goes well as their career options?
    If so, Badminton has a long long long way to go.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

20. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

I felt she slimmed down liao.