share pictures of your stringing machines!

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    You don't, tennis is best played outdoors ;)

2. jordanbryant

jordanbryant Regular Member

none
    Haha touché the old guys still have it but never see anyone with it anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Razor-BladE

Razor-BladE Regular Member

Personal Trainer
    Also personally, I'd have the top side supports on the one closer to the top, assuming you're stringing bottom up.

4. Blake2004

Blake2004 New Member

Hi
    I have started stringing with a crank machine and use flying clamps. When im stringing at 28lbs and i test it on the stringster app it tells me my tention it 23/24lbs. Can you please help me to find a way of getting accurate stringing tention.

5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

1) wrong thread
    2) have you calibrated your crank mechanism yet? If not, then search on YouTube for a tutorial - I'm sure you will find some.
    3) do you pull each string 2-3 times? If not, then start doing it now.

Apart from that, since you are using flying clamps, there will always be a tendency for your jobs to come out lower than what's set at the tensioner.

6. Blake2004

Blake2004 New Member

Thanks for the reply!!!
    I have calibrated the machine and it is spot on. The threading it right as i copy a sheet from victor on my js10. I pull the starting string twice. Do you reckon i should get better flying clamps as the ones i have are cheap pro's pro which i brought for £10

7. Blake2004

Blake2004 New Member

Thanks for the reply!!!
    I have calibrated the machine and it is spot on. The threading it right as i copy a sheet from victor on my js10. I pull the starting string twice. Do you reckon i should get better flying clamps as the ones i have are cheap pro's pro which i brought for £10

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

The threading is wrong, because you have posted your questions in the wrong thread in this forum.

You should pull each string 2-3 times, not just the starting string.
    And it surely won't hurt to buy a pair of decent Yonex flying clamps - that's a small investment for good quality equipment.

In general, it's very likely and common with the combination of crank plus flying clamps come out 1-2 lbs. lower than a constant pull mechanism plus decent fixed clamps, I wouldn't worry too much. It's more important if your results are consistent from one job to the next. You can always compensate by going higher with the tension in the first place.

9. arundeep

arundeep Regular Member

Badminton coach, SAP consultant
    Thanks to S_mair and tennisman, here is my new (Actually 7 months old, but was sitting in a box, somewhere all this time) Superstringer T20.

20180701_182716.jpg

Daniel™, Super85 and s_mair like this.
  10. arundeep

arundeep Regular Member

I have not seen anyone making a comment on this one later. But this by simple physics seems to be a valid point on weight balancing from the center point. Based on the position of gripper on the opposite side, the effective weight for the string should differ. jnsjnsn seems to have done some testing. has anybody else tried to validate that testing on other drop machines with gripper?

11. LoaS

LoaS Regular Member

The position of the gripper has no impact on string tension once the drop weight bar is horizontal. It's weight is counter balanced by the bar when you raise it after the initial drop.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Martin Creasey likes this.
  12. Kaelhdris

Kaelhdris Regular Member

I think the position of the gripper is irrelevant, because it is so close to the rotation axis, its influence on the resulting tension is negligible.

13. arundeep

arundeep Regular Member

I do not think it has no impact on the string tension. yes, it could be very less. but how less is the question. On one side I see the discussions about how drop weight are consistent, but on the other hand we say it is easy to ignore without even trying to test it. I still do not have the fisherman scale to test it. I hope if someone who has can check it.

@jnsjnsn ! I see that you did some testing on weight. as per that the string could have -.7kg to -.35 kg that the set tension, based on where gripper ends in comparison to the set calibration weight. I am not expecting +.7kg as not sure in which case gripper would end up on the same horizontal side as the main bar. Did you tested the extra tension impact using fisherman scale or other way? It would be nice if your share your results.

14. arundeep

arundeep Regular Member

maybe it should have been another thread to discuss this point. But I did some calculation (verified with physics people). I attach graphs for my findings ( Still not tested on scale as I do not have one yet). Gripper weight is 310 gm. Distance of gripper length from center is 11 cm. weight of the sliding cylinder is 1.17kg. I calculated for 10 kg and 14 kg.

10kg

dropweight_gripper_graph_10kg.png

14kg
    dropweight_gripper_graph_14kg.png

As per this if the gripper is facing exactly downwards is the best solution. Worst case if it is horizontal on the side of string, it can make a difference of .65 kg , about 1.4 pounds! This is similar to what @jnsjnsn mentioned.

Seems like one way is to learn that gripper somehow always finishes facing exactly downwards. Any tricks to achieve that? For me it seems to keep on changing based on my hand stress on string , mains vs crosses and type of string.

Otherway seems to be what @jnsjnsn mentioned; add a balancing weight. I do not have means/tools to do that.

3rds is to reduce the weight of gripper as less as possible. e.g. with 100 grams gripper for 14k target, worst case would be 1.5% i.e. so about .5 pounds.

any helpful tip/advice to achieve accuracy on ensuring downward facing gripper would help. Unless I find some solution to other ways to counter balance.

kwun likes this.
  15. Kaelhdris

Kaelhdris Regular Member

This is very interesting info, but I'm not sure it is very possible to act upon it. Like you said, the end position of the gripper depends on tension, type of string and position/length of the string being pulled and I don't really see what you could do to change it.

I think the applied tension also depends on whether the string is pulled perfectly straight or at an angle : most likely there is an angle that varies depending on which string you're pulling.
    Then it depends on your clamps/bases : if they move at all, then you lose a bit of tension that is hard to estimate.
    How long you keep the string under tension before clamping can also have a pretty huge effect on tension loss.
    Finally, you'll want to control for temperature if you're striving for scientific precision. I'm not saying you shouldn't, but it seems like a very tall order. Most (I think) stringers go for consistency from one job to the next.

16. arundeep

arundeep Regular Member

Agreed on consistency. For other things like temperature can be real dynamic variable and clamping wait and play can be made consistent (if not accurate). But this part seems like can be improved as it is not environment variable, it is a design issue.

The normal drop weight without gripper does not pose this problem e.g. as there is no varying counter weight. Same way I think @jnsjnsn solution seems to be provide balance, but I am not sure how friendly it is or if that can be improved.

Not sure if gripper can be designed with equal balance on both sides somehow from the beginning. probably a feedback to manufacturer?

But sure, it was interesting study and as a beginner I am happy I was involved. Now need an improvement; short term and long term.

17. Kaelhdris

Kaelhdris Regular Member

Adding a counterweight to your gripper seems like the best way to fix it, since it would work regardless of the gripper's position. A homemade fix wouldn't even be too hard to do.
    I wouldn't bother with it because, with the same string and same tension, your gripper will always end up mostly in the same position, so consistency isn't compromised. I'd look into it if I was a manufacturer though.

18. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

The round grippers that Gamma uses on their drop weight machines should do the trick. I've always wondered why they use this type of gripper - so maybe we've just found one of the reasons.

arundeep and Kaelhdris like this.
  19. arundeep

arundeep Regular Member

I need to see if I can find someone with right tools to do it. I do not have any :(

I am too far from it. Every time I end up at different position :D. Need many more attempts on same attempt to reach apprx the same position. Maybe one day!

20. arundeep

arundeep Regular Member

Do you know if they are available as extras that can fit on superstringer? Also why they are not standard? I assume this gripper is easier to handle, or?