Looking for videos of line judges at baseline

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by alien9113, Jul 24, 2023.

1. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

As per topic title, I'm trying to search for videos of line judges assigned to the baseline.

BWF has many videos, but the camera angle are always for line judges watching the vertical (side lines).

Reason for this request is so that I can practise line judging for an upcoming practical exam.

This angle specifically (the lady circled in orange is watching the baseline)

[​IMG]

#1 alien9113, Jul 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
  2. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

#WatchVideos

3. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Are you looking for where to sit? I was recently dragged into doing base line at a high level tournament. You sit lined up with where the back base line is both for singles and doubles (generally behind A-Boards if there are any).

I recommend you google "BWF Line Judge Manual" which will have photos on where to sit. If you're looking to move forward as a LJ in the future, then this manual is a must read.

4. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

In the framegrab, all the line-judges on one half of the court (right side of umpire) are seen. That is this court will have a full complement of line judges (ten). Occasionally, the baseline will serve double duty as court attendants (wiping sweat and drying the court).

When practicing judging line-calls, do align your dominant eye with the line you will be judging. When line-judging baselines, you will be also adjudicating the long-service line, so dont be shy about moving your head to align with that line and then return to your 'base.'

In the picture you included, there are cameras being operated for live-feed/streaming, also the hawkeye cameras, and there will be microphones placed at various locations. When line judging, try and avoid disturbing these equipment.

Know also that in the preliminary rounds, there are either 2, 4, or 6 line judges, so you must know which is your line. In these circumstances, the sidelines will be the total length of court, so place your chair accordingly so you can see the complete line.

To maintain focus for long periods (recall your longest match) requires special skills and patience. As always there are only three signals the line judge will make.

Do not look at the player when making these signals. If a player decides to stand in front of you after you made the call, make eye contact with umpire, even if you have to move sideways to do so.

And never look at the replay while you are on the court - it just creates unnecessary emotions. Do not smile if you find that you were correct; just call the next one as you see it!

Rest your eyeballs when off the court as much as you can. Moisturising eye-drops or even cold water from the bubbler helps.

No matter which line you judge, you will be a very critical part of the officiating team, irrespective if the umpire thanks you or not.

5. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

No. That's already covered by the line judge course. I already know where to sit. Looking for videos that cover that angle. Many BWF videos don't really have that kind of angle for reference and using them for practice, quite a number of errors are made.

6. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Yeah, I think I grabbed that screenshot from a semi final or final, where there is a full line up of line judges who look specifically at the baseline and the long service line.

Although most unfortunately, most videos are lacking the necessary angles for practising judging at the baselines unless there's Hawkeye replays which then lets me know if I'm right or wrong...

7. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

You may go to your neighbourhood baddy club and request the players on the competitive-challenge court to let you do some line-judging.

Alternately, you can use a court iwth your buddy who can just do smashes and clears on the baseline. (This is what I do before going to any tournament.)
    There are two positions to sit -- (i) in line with the baseline, and (ii) at corner to judge both, the baseline and the sideline. This latter is the position at tournament where they do not have adequate personnel to service all courts. Ergo, before the match, know which line you are judging.

If you have access to high speed camera that takes videos, use that to record.

In either case, setup your camera or mobile opposite to you to cover the complete baseline and your chair, so you see the baseline and your hands.

Setup to record at the highest frame-rate your camera or mobile provides you. The current publically available videos are usually 25 or 30 fps.

alien9113 likes this.
  8. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

Better to get into it while you still can. There may soon be automated line calling coming to the events near you!

You may know, this is already in vogue in tennis since last year, at the US Open.

9. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Lovely ideas!

I have an action camera that's capable of recording up to 4k60fps. And silly Youtube now restricts 60fps videos to premium, so...

10. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

I think it would be nice and eliminate errors and calls for Hawkeye, although it would eliminate my role instead! :oops:

Maybe I should take the umpire course next. But I don't like this role. :oops:

11. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

You do not have to like the role of umpire to be a good umpire, or even be a great umpire. Just do what you are required to do, which in ordinary language is to help put on a show. Make the environment on your court such that the players trust you will call a fair match, that the players' coaches trust you that you provide a safe place, and your teammates, those with you on the court (moppers, line judges and service judge, in order of importance) regard you as the best leader they have worked with.

And yes, there is an unwritten coda, when you cannot umpire, you become a referee!

12. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

That's true, though it's easier to say that than do it. At the moment, it's really unappealing to me. Maybe when I have a better mindset and stronger mentality to handle the various issues that various umpires have shared then I will reconsider taking the course.