Hi Badminton Central

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by cerberus1846, Nov 14, 2022.

1. cerberus1846

cerberus1846 Regular Member

Hi BC,

New member - stumbled across the forum and decided to sign up! :)

I started playing badminton when I was 5 and played right through until I was 17 - at a decent club level, winning a few tournaments along the way. I then had a 25 year hiatus! -and only returned to the sport last November (so I've been back around a year or so now!)...

I started off with coaching sessions once a week (over the last year) - really trying to work on my technique and skills and iron out any bad habits and have recently started incorporating game sessions into my routine.. the main issues I'm finding I'm having are fitness (my mind is willing my body sometimes isn't though!) and working on my consistency... so not much has changed in that department over the last 25 years at least! ;) :)

Some of the rules of the game have though! :) - and so has the equipment... I remember when my trusty old Carlton Powerflo with Ashaway strings was cutting edge! - I bought a Carlton Vapour Trail Pure (even balance and medium flex) to get me back into it and have recently just added a Li-Ning Airforce 77 G2 to my collection. I've now had both restrung with Yonex Exbolt 65 (24x26) and this has also made a marked difference.

hope everyone is well and no one gives up the game for 25 years like I did! - (learn from my mistake! :) )

s_mair, Cheung and Woesi like this.
  2. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Welcome new member.

Keep playing every week (more than once if you can) and the consistency will come. If I take even two weeks off, I can barely walk the day after coming back ^^

Make sure to eat well and sleep well regarding fitness levels. And stay hydrated on court.

cerberus1846 likes this.
  3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Welcome to the forum! :)

Which Powerflo do you have? I've had that turquoise sparkly colored Powerflo CR and I loved it to bits. But hands down, technology has evolved noticeably since back then.

cerberus1846 likes this.
  4. cerberus1846

I had the black/white and orange Powerflo BR…

these are my current rackets..

D8DCD925-CE81-4478-8C1A-B6B58677A870.jpeg

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Carlton aren’t the same as before. I heard the brand got bought out by Sportsdirect.

6. cerberus1846

just because it got bought by a new parent company doesn’t mean it’s not the ‘same’...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlton_Sports

#6 cerberus1846, Nov 17, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

How does Carlton present compare to Carlton past in England?

Are they giving sponsorships? Any county junior badminton players using the brand?

Last claim to fame was Nathan Robertson. 16-20 years ago?

8. cerberus1846

Audi own Lamborghini... does that mean that Lamborghini's aren't Lamborghini's anymore? ;):)

Carlton have never really had many professional players use them - so you've probably just defeated your own argument! - going back c30+ years most professional players have almost exclusively used Yonex - with there only relatively recently been players switching between Yonex and Li-Ning..

I'm actually not sure what point it is that you're trying to make now?.. your original point seemed to suggest that Carlton wasn't them same company (when clearly, it is - it's just owned by a different parent company) - you then pivoted to suggest that they weren't giving sponsorships and no junior players were using them?? and then mentioned their 'last claim to fame'??

So, I'll break it down further..

1. Carlton are the same company - they've retained the same headquarters and trademarks they've had pre/post SD takeover
    2. Their range now seems to be more focused on beginner and intermediate rackets - with potentially only one model in their current line up being considered 'professional' - historically, they had a more defined lineup with various models aimed at specific segments of the market - I'd imagine the reason for their current direction is that the top end of the market has become saturated with Yonex/Victor and Li-Ning
    3. I see plenty club players using Carlton (I also see club users using Dunlop, Babolat and Apacs) - although, most use Yonex and Li-Ning
    4. You could argue that Yonex isn't the same company - given they actually changed their name from Yoneyama in the 1960's - Carlton have never changed their name and have existed as a recognised standalone company for it's entire history

this is there current lineup:

[​IMG]

#8 cerberus1846, Nov 18, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
    Cheung likes this.
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Thanks for confirming they have moved down the market.

10. cerberus1846