China Open 2009 Day 4 (QF) - 20 Nov

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Open / China Open 2009' started by robin7, Nov 19, 2009.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Quite exciting..^^

..Ah Koo looked quite sharp at the net and forecourt..

2. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Hi guys,

I first thing I noticed when watching the MD matches is the shuttle seemed to be very slow! The both pairs were smashing like hell but couldn't floor the shuttle, it was a very physical match. Unlike most MD matches where rallies are short but this match had plenty of rallies and both pairs seemed comfortable to lift the shuttle and hope to tire out their opponent, by enticing them to constantly smash!

3. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Yeah, I think you'll find the players claiming the shuttle was slow too. Li Ning shuttles?

4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    In the final, I saw it was like Yonex AS 50. But not sure.

5. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant

KKK/TBH and JJS/LYD will have to their arms thoroughly massaged with all their smashes in the China Open 2009 MDF match. I agree the shuttles were too slow and hence the defence appears to be very 'solid' from both pairs.
    Were the shuttles tested before the match which is the normal practice?
    If the top English pair were to play, I am sure they will insist on a change of the shuttles as they did in so many matches they played in.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

About the slow shuttle speed..

- If they used Yonex 50, then it's probably the fastest of all Yonex shuttles. However, if i recall, there are even different speeds of Yonex 50.
    - I am sure they tested the shuttle, for the correct speed, prior to all the matches.
    - Personally, i don't think the players wanted to play with a slower shuttle as i'm sure they'd like to floor the shuttles. Perhaps both pairs played brilliant defense in returning the shuttle.
    - I brought this scenario up in the other thread that was locked. Imagine this:
    Did anyone notice the same thing in the Korea Open, AE Open, Swiss Open earlier this yr? Remember also, those tourneys were held in the early part of the yr when the temps are probably as cold or colder than the temps during last week's China Open. Were the shuttles also "too slow" in those tourneys?

7. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    I felt sorry for LYD, the Korean had just won a 3 game match in the mixed and then having a play another 3 punishing game in MDF. Congrats to him that he won both final matches. It was interesting that both team won many points by using drop shots instead of big smashes to win rallies. Wonder if the Chinese Fu had played, would have had more success with his huge smashes:confused: