Badminton academic here

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by leaderofrouge, Jun 18, 2023.

1. leaderofrouge

leaderofrouge New Member

Hi all,

I am a new old-member who joined a while back and occasionally pop into the forum just to read up on some of the "current affairs" on badminton here.

I used to play very often pre-covid, but have since [basically] stopped.

I wrote my Masters and PhD thesis on badminton --- the former on aerodynamics and the latter on mechanical analysis. So, if you are someone who like getting bore out of your mind with technical trivia on badminton shuttlecock or would like to fact check some random badminton "knowledge", then I might be your man.

Cheung likes this.
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

What's the optimal string tension and shaft stiffness for me?

Jesting aside, I believe there is an optimal stringbed contact time for beginners, intermediate, advanced, and pro players, for optimal power/kinetic energy transfer.

Question is, is there a way to quantify it, other than trying out all different combinations of rackets and tension by trial and error.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

leaderofrouge likes this.
  3. leaderofrouge

leaderofrouge New Member

Howdy!

A lot of biomechanical testing will be needed to find out what's "optimal" for you ^^;;

One paper that I have cited proposed a pure kinetic energy model (1/2 mv^2) is the way to go in terms of string tension when a player has developed the "correct" (read: biomechanically efficient in theory) swing & techniques.

visor likes this.