Aviva Open Singapore 2007

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2007 / Indonesia Open 2007' started by Loh, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Well Singapore is going to have its F1 racing to complement Malaysia's and Autralias's. I'm sure motor enthusiasts like abendeng will welcome it! And XBall must come more often to Singapore to find real gems at even lower prices than in Malaysia, as abendeng has managed to do! ;)

Yet another reason to visit Singapore! :D

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yeah I also like the decos of past years better. But then this year they may come up with something more agreeable...hopefully. :cool:

3. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    abedeng, do you join the car races held at National Stadium Carpark (next to Singapore Indoor Stadium)? The next session is on Sunday May 20, 2007. Expect to see lots of Evos and WRXs there (not forgetting the race queens) :D
    http://www.mptmotor.com/events.htm

4. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Uncle Loh aka SG ambassador, wat time r u gonna be at Kallang on May 1st? I think it's only qualifying rounds, so no "superstars" on courts. :crying:

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yeah what do you suggest?

Who are the names worth watching for. Details? :D

6. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Uncle Loh, I dont have the schedule for the qualifying rounds. I'll check out with my frens and text u to confirm. If no big names worth watching, we go down and play lor.... :D

7. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/matches.aspx?id=14406&day=114409

A number of the Singapore players have to play in the qualifying rounds eg. Fu Mingtian, Gu Juan, Ricky, Chayut etc.

Other familiar faces playing in the qualifying rounds:

Zhou Mi (Hong Kong) - WS
    Cheng Shao Chieh (Taiwan top womens singles player) - WS
    Wong Choon Hann (Malaysia) - MS
    Kuan Beng Hong (Malaysia) - MS
    Nguyen Tien Minh (Vietnam) - MS - top vietnamese player, lost to Susilo in Round 3 last year
    Sigit Budiarto (Indonesia) - MD - My Idol :D
    Zhang Jun (China) - MD
    Zheng Bo (China) - MD
    Xie Zhongbo - (China) - MD
    Sudket (Thailand) - MD
    Jens Ericksen (Sweden) - XD

#147 Sealman, Apr 27, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  8. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Yeah, good thing we had a public holiday yesterday, so I needed to only take one day off .....

Apparently, quite a number of my friends went too, met a few of them.

Sorry Antz, don't think I'm high and mighty enough to hitch a ride on the other "Phantom" ....

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Oh then we must go down and support our Singapore players at least.

So what time you're going there Sealman? :)

10. jermaine

jermaine Regular Member

student
    LIN DAN OF COURSE>... he didnt come for 2 years... I MISS HIM hahaha
    any kind soul please inform me the time when lin dan match starts .. because i have school and i really cannot do anything about it..:confused:

im really desprate to watch lin dan play all his matches especially.. haizz:crying:

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I thought..

..he came in 2005?:confused: ..But I believe he lost to Taufik in the Semifinal, which i also witnessed..;)

12. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

What's wrong with SBA?

If you have the contacts,Loh, maybe you can convey these queries:
    1. Why can't they schedule TWO days for qualifying like the SWO 07 and what IO07 is doing?

The hallmark of a good tournament is when well fought matches are maximised and that should include giving qualifiers a chance of playing well in the main draw instead of being half dead in the 1st round esp. MS.

Simon Santoso might not have made it to the finals if the Swiss had not taken the trouble to spread qualifying over two days. (I'm glad hcyong suggested the idea) And they were rewarded for their efforts in fair play: The MSF was watchable and decent quality.(Compared to AE07 MSF ;totally unwatchable and effectively a waste of time.)
    2. Why are the 2nd and 3rd MS qualifying matches so close?The winners may have only one hour rest in between.Shouldn't they schedule the 3rd MS as the last matches of the day?

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I agree with you that the qualifiers are not given much of a chance with the exception of Simon so far. For that, Simon has proven himself and justified for entering the main draw direct for future SS, unless he makes a blunder along the way.

It could be the time and cost factor that the organisers are not willing to extend the qualifying period to two days. Maybe just a question of economics. Quite understandably, they want to concentrate on the main draw where the big stars are scheduled to play. The qualifying rounds serve as avenues for the lesser players to make some headway. It is not the main stage where most interest (including fans, sponsorship and media) is attracted, so I presume qualifiers are less important to the organizers.

But at least qualifiers are given a chance to prove themselves just as Simon did. To ask for more qualifying days so that they may have more time to rest may not gel well with teh organisers.

But it is sad to see Wong Choong Han still struggling to raise his ranking to be
    admitted direct to the main draw. Wonder how WCH will fare this time in the SO. Admittedly, standards are relatively higher even in the qualifiers.

14. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    It's a Super Series(SS) so qualification round certainly will not be a main attraction. I love SS as excitement starts from round 1, however, unfortunately Chinese still dominate in SF and Final.

15. indra

indra Regular Member

Not this time ...especially in MS...

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I suppose the Chinese may dominate in the sense that they may have more numbers getting into the SF and F when we consider all five events taken together. They will certainly be dominant in the womens events.

But Malaysia has signalled their seriousness in putting up a good show when they sent in a huge contingent, I believe surpassing all other countries. They will be strongest in MD, which may mean that the Chinese will not be represented in the Final if they cannot overcome the Malaysians, Indonesians or Danes on their journey.

The likelihood of TH versus LD in the MS final looms high. Still the Chinese are very strong in this category.

In that sense, the Chinese will still dominate I suppose.

But we will be rooting for upsets, upsets, upsets! :D

17. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Finally, I am able to confirm that I will be able to make it for the Aviva Singapore Open 2007 :D Finished all my work today and since tomorrow is a Labor Day holiday, I will be arriving in SG on Wednesday night and ready to watch the matches from Day 2 onwards (same like last year's) :D

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Finally! We look forward to seeing you again. Don't forget our BC Makan 'Besar' Get-together on SF night, Sat, 5th May, at Lau Pa Sat.

This is also an open invitation to all BC members attending the Aviva Open to join us at the LPS. Ants, Terry, et all will be in attendance! :D

19. badMania

badMania Regular Member

The Pelatnas players BETTER don't disappoint me this year :cool: INA has a good record at the Singapore Open...so...hopefully the trend continues this year.

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    BC Aviva Open Singapore 2007 Makan Get-together

Please confirm your attendance below for our Makan Party:

Date: Sat, 5 May, 2007 (Semi-Finals evening)
    Venue: Lau Pa Sat (Robinson Rd/Shenton Way)
    Time: To meet at LPS about half an hour after the semi-finals matches end.
    Transportation: Could BC Members who are driving, please give a lift to those who are not. Please volunteer by informining me at hp 91790791.

Could I just list down some names who would most likely join us. Please add or delete accordingly. But we hope you will consider twice before you delete your name because we want you to be with us. ;)

1.Ants
    2.Terry
    3. Loh
    4. badMania
    5. kktan
    6. wood_22_chuck
    7. magical pheonix
    8. kyiyu
    9. hFang
    10. jimbo
    11. Sealman
    12. netasia
    13. modious
    14. storkbill
    15. pjswift
    16. alfa-2
    17. moonsilk
    18. abedeng
    19. mongoose
    20. X Ball

All the Singapore playing group leaders, please nominate your representatives to make it an eventful evening:

1. Bukit Batok (theforceisback)
    2. Bukit Gombak/CCK Sports (lightsmash)
    3. Hougang (thambest)
    4. Jurong (Cengsc)
    5. North Int-Adv Group (Iwan)
    6. Toa Payoh (surge)

See you guys!:)