Ankle roll - eversion injuries

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by paroxysmal, Feb 2, 2023.

1. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Thought common injuries like Ankle roll should have a separate thread

Here we will discuss

Cause, extent, remedies for ankle roll, eversion injuries.

2. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

You wrote "Thought common injuries like Ankle roll should have a separate thread" <-- Absolutely agree

Personally i've rolled my ankle a bunch of times, it hasn't been too disasterous but could've been..

You wrote "Cause, extent, remedies for ankle roll, eversion injuries." <-- I agree to this approach re discussion. Very logical.

I think one thing which should be considered re Cause,, is Finding the cause.

I recommend Video. So you catch the ankle roll on tape and can watch it in slow motion.

Also I have a memory that when I watched myself play, watching things in slow motion, besides the ankle roll, there were a bunch of NEARLIES, where the foot everted a bit, but not far enough to go all the way over, so it wasn't noticable while playing. That might occur a lot of times. Like, with driving, for any one accident, there's going to be dozens of nearlies. And being unaware of the nearlies means more likely also to have more of a roll.

In my particular case, the ones which I was able to review on video.. One of them involved some kind of Chasse movement to the side. And one involved a chasse mvoement back. And that momentum PLUS landing on the outside of the shoe. Sent it the ankle rolling.

I actually had some great advice from a coach on this on what to do if the ankle rolls. They said you can roll with it.

One of the times when my ankle rolled, I didn't try to stay standing. I let myself fall. And my subconscious did a good job and I fell safely. (There are safe ways to fall but I haven't trained them and I don't know any coaches that coach it..Maybe parachute jumpers know. And i've heard some actors that have to fall, talk about tuck and roll.. anyhow whatever I did to fall, worked). My ankle was protected. I might have been a little bit sore from the fall but I don't tend to get injuerd from falls at my age/height/weight. Maybe when i'm 60 it'll be a different story re falling But i'm not there yet as of writing.

Another time it happened, was just chassing backwards. Not doing anything odd. And I can't comment on if my intermediate chasses were problematic but where it went really wrong was the last chasse. So the one where you stop. I must have done the last chasse in the same style as the others , The video didn't catch it but I must have landed on the outside of my foot , and the momentum plus that landing , caused eversion. And I hadn't heard about the fallig method at that time. (plus there was a wall behind me so any fall mgiht have had to be adjusted anyway). So I did the normal thing of it rolled must have taken some weight and I stayed on my feet and "unnrolled" it.

I then sat for 5 minutes till it didn't feel sore.

That's important. If it does feel sore, don't start playing on it immediately.

That's something not in coaching manuals and not all coaches know about. You should sit down after an ankle roll. Some people if they are playing and roll their ankle, even go home! But do not walk on it straight away when you feel it sore! One player I played with literally said best thing to do is walk on it.. He's wrong! After 5min MAYBE. If it's not sore but not straight after.

There might be a way to fix the underlying Chasseing technique.to make it safer.. Including the stop, but I haven't relaly investigated that. But considering that I caught some "nearlies" on video, then, logically it makes sense one could fix the htechnique to avoid those.

Also proper. Badminton Shoes, I think there is less rolling going on with those not just at the ankle but on the surface of the shoe. So there are less issues. It acts as a protective mechanism in part.

I have seen these thoough I haven't bought them-

https://badmintonfamly.com/articles/how-not-to-sprain-your-ankle-when-you-play-badminton/

The picture at that link also reminds me.. I heard one player say that becaues they were double jointed, they were OK. No!!! Cos as that pic shows it's the weight on it in that position. Also heavier people are at FAR higher risk of not just spraining but even breaking their ankle. And I have heard of an ankle break due to slippery floor though haven't heard how that one happened.

The article is partly clearly an advert so who knows re it but I notice the video shows somebody landing badly on a jump

I don't know if players have landed badly on a jump. It seems plausible. That has not happened to me.. Partly 'cos for some years I would chasse out then jump straight up, before I knew that more correct badminton technique was jumping out. But also, normally when I have jumped out i've landed well, my unconscious has been good re that even when I wasn't aware of an ankle roll risk on a jump.

And another thing.. Physios may know of good remedies. And there may be good advice from the tennis world. I was watching Boris Becker talking about problems he had had. And he had broken his ankles before, plus in his day the shoes weren't as good. And to avoid that ,he would wear ankle braces.

And I have met a badminton player that had had an injury from an ankle roll, that would wear an ankle brace and that supported it and he was fine.

So maybe an ankle brace prevents rollinng.. or prevents a roll from going far enough to cause injury.

I heard one tennis player say they had strong ankles so they are ok. Well strong enough to support their weight when fully everted? Probably not. And ankle rolling isn't a lack of strength. I reckon maybe it's technique related but something not taught about and technique not well known. Hence eg all the nearlies I spotted when looking in slow mo at a video where I an ankle roll occurred.

I have seen somebody do squats with ankles fully everted. A female. And she had no doubt trained it. She could maybe arguably say she has enough ankle strength though not if it were a jump!

With all injuries or soreness or muscular tiredness, best to let it recover and be persistent with cancelling things if need be, cos ignoring it and playing or training with it when the injury is very recent can cause an overuse injury and become permanent or chronic/very long lasting

#2 ralphz, Feb 14, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    paroxysmal likes this.