Should i change my shoes for the shin splints?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Whittalboy, Dec 2, 2022.

1. Whittalboy

Whittalboy Regular Member

There are a number of things i could do and change to treat this. Ive already looked up a lot.
    But my question here on this forum is, is my current "momota 65z2 yonex shoes" good enough or should i take an extra step to change my shoes to something with more cushion? To further treat my shin splints? Or do you reckon 65z2 shoes are good enough and i should keep up with other things(rests, physio, calf compression, icing, etc etc all listed on internet)

2. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Are you absolutely sure that you have shin splints and badminton shoes are to blame for it?

I can walk, I can run, but I can't jog for the life of me. Horrendous pain down the front of my shins. First noticed it when playing field hockey when young. Going from walking, to sprinting, to jogging while standing on a field in hockey shoes really made it hurt.

Now, badminton. I have never had shin pain during badminton and I don't think it's due to shoe cushioning.
    The movement is a lot of lunges, small steps, some jumps in badminton. If done properly, I don't see how this would cause shin pain.

Are you running and taking a lot of extra steps around the court?

3. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Good enough, unless they're totally worn off.

Dealt with shin splits for a while until I lost some weight (was not overweight but still, losing weight helped).

4. Whittalboy

nooo im not blaming my shoes. im trying to take every little improvement i could take to recover better and faster and was wondering if changing 65z2 would also help it.

5. Whittalboy

good enough? ok thanks good to know

6. Kaydee

Kaydee Regular Member

If you feel like the shoes aren't offering enough cushioning, why not try adding an aftermarket sole. I've added the HefeLuxx soles (basically Adidas Boost sole) into all my shoes.

Doing leg exercises also helps. I used get knee and ankle soreness after a 2 hour session. Now I walk around 6kms a day, do squats, lunges, bulgarian lunges etc. Now after 4 hour session, I barely feel anything.

Cheung likes this.
  7. Whittalboy

leg exercises. ok ill keep that in mind

8. Ffly

Ffly Regular Member

Heel raises are the best exercices. Do it everyday, it will fix the shin splint.

Changing your shoes, footwork, insoles can help but heel raises is what really fixed it for me.

9. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Few things which worked for me (need not sound logical)

1) arch support insoles

2) shifting from yonex to nike shoes (although i didnt it for some different reason)

3) less sitting and walking more (at least 8K steps per day). Walking is massive underrated.

4) wide toe boxed shoes (most badminton shoes are narrow)

5) gym exercises

Sent from my CPH2447 using Tapatalk