WISE upgrade | Glide-to-Activate gripper module

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by s_mair, Nov 30, 2022.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

+++
    Disclaimer: I've bought this thing from my own money and I've not been sponsored in any way to write this post. I just think the product is great and that the BC community should know about it. :)

+++
    IMG_6197 (Klein).JPG

Part 1: The gripper module

I've been eyeing this thing ever since the first pictures and short videos were appearing early this year and was really sad that it was only available for the newer V14 WISE generations. Upgrading the WISE to a V14 in parallel was out of the question, so I stopped caring about it.

Until about two weeks ago, when a trusted stringer colleague mentionend that now there was also a version for the old V12 and behold... there it was:

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005...t_main.17.21ef5c5fFmHPDx&gatewayAdapt=glo2deu

After sending a couple of messages with the seller to make sure that the "Old Version" was indeed compatible with the V12 and older WISE versions, I decided to take the plunge and go for it.

Shipping only took a couple of days until it showed up at my doorstep. First thought that went through my mind holding it: Good lord, this thing is MASSIVE!

Let's look at some pictures to compare it to the original WISE gripper (click to enlarge):
    IMG_6194 (Groß).JPG IMG_6193 (Groß).JPG IMG_6190 (Groß).JPG

As we can see, it's higher (25 mm) and longer (30 mm) than the original gripper which on most existing setups will cause some issues to maintain a 360° racket rotation. The needed modifications on the machine are a whole separate topic and will be covered in a following post. :)

I just had to grab the kitchen scale to weigh them both:
    IMG_6148 (Groß).JPG IMG_6188 (Groß).JPG

OMG. The overall build quality seems to be amazing. CNC machined metal wherever you look and whatever you touch. The gripper plates have a slightly structured surface (hard to take a picture though) and are moving smooth as silk:
    IMG_6187 (Groß).JPG

To get a full picture of the construction, I've opened it and the engineer in me couldn't stop cheering:
    IMG_6176 (Groß).JPG IMG_6177 (Groß).JPG IMG_6178 (Groß).JPG

Solid construction, CNC machined parts wherever you look and all the electronic switches used are standard parts that can be easily replaced just in case. Also, the gripper module itself is sealed with another two separate screws, so there is no risk that the whole thing explodes on you if you just want to have a look inside. Just very, very nicely done.

In part 2, I will show the modifications needed to install it on my StringMaster Deluxe. Spoiler: It was no big deal.

#1 s_mair, Nov 30, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Part 2: Installation

Changing the gripper module itself is dead easy. To remove the standard gripper, just open and remove the four big screws/bolts in the center and slightly loosen the two small hex bolts on the sides. Then lift the whole module from the socket. Do not completely remove the two small bolts since this will cause the module to completely fall apart - including the gripper plate bearings!

Then slide the new module onto the socket from the top and fix it with the four center bolts. Oh, and don't forget to plug in the cable. Easy peasy.

Then comes the issue. With those 25 mm additional height, the 360° rotation was no longer possible on my StringMaster Deluxe. And I guess this will be the case on the vast majority of machines that had a WISE with the standard gripper installed before. Here's how it looked:
    IMG_6151 (Groß).JPG

There might be stringers who don't need a 360° rotation and for those, the process ends here.

To me (and I guess to most others), 360° rotation is a mandatory feature so it will be necessary to raise the turntable. I'll now show the process how this can be done on the StringMaster. There will be differences in the construction of the turntable and hence in the exact process of how to do it, but the general ideas should apply on most machines in the "affordable" price range that are typically equipped with a WISE.

Here's how the interface between turntable and base plate bearing looks like:
    IMG_6121 (Groß).JPG IMG_6123 (Groß).JPG

I was suprised to find those four aluminum distance bushings/washers (25 mm length) in the package of the gripper module:
    IMG_6150 (Groß).JPG

All that was needed were longer bolts which luckily are standard bolts and easy to get in a hardware store or online shop (fyi: ISO 10642 / DIN 7991, size M8 x 45) to make it look like this:
    IMG_6153 (Groß).JPG IMG_6162 (Groß).JPG

I couldn't see any additional tilting of the turntable under load or any other noticeably issue with this solution. So having this already included in the package, this is great and fully usable!

In parallel to the shipping I'd been in contact with the master of machine mod parts @Michal Chudek himself. Of course, he came up with solid and nicely looking solution that I've ordered directly. Long story short, I've installed it and it will remain as my permanent solution:
    IMG_6171 (Groß).JPG IMG_6172 (Groß).JPG IMG_6173 (Groß).JPG

Now isn't that nice? Michal is the man, hands down. :)

#2 s_mair, Dec 1, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    DarthHowie, yenyesoh, thyrif and 2 others like this.
  3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Part 3: Summary

I'll make this very quick: This thing is a masterpiece. Rock solid and precise build quality, great haptics and ergonomics. Whoever has designed this thing clearly was a stringer or at least had a stringer at hand. I've now strung 3 rackets with the new gripper and with each pull I noticed more details. The elevated diabolo to achieve a flatter pulling angle, the angled gripper plates, the bevel on the top side of the plates to guide the string...

The whole thing boosts the WISE concept up at least one league and is IMO almost a mandatory upgrade, especially looking at the price/performance ratio. Heck, this thing costs the same as a proper racket. So in case anyone is still on the lookout for a Christmas present (for yourself of course!): Look no further! :)

#3 s_mair, Dec 1, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    DarthHowie, speCulatius and Mr Arc2 like this.
  4. paul27

paul27 Regular Member

Thanks for your detailed breakdown and installation.
    this is worth every single cent. I've been using it for a few months now, but didn't install the raised washers... so no 360° for the moment. Will definitely give those raised washers a try this weekend.
    Thank you!!

5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

If you have the correct bolts at hand, this will take you a couple of minutes. Good luck!

6. InfinitySmash

InfinitySmash Regular Member

Been eyeballing this upgrade for a while, any major reasons why this gripper is better than the original wise one?

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

To start with the obvious: Because it has the glide-to-activate feature. And I think I’ve listed most of the other differences (pros and cons).

8. kaffars

kaffars Regular Member

Geologist

The parts machined by Michal how much were they? So you use these instead of the distance booster parts that came with the order?

9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

sent you a PM

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Well I know what to get myself for christmas!

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

You won't regret it. It honestly feels like having a completely new machine under your fingers. :)

12. paul27

paul27 Regular Member

Except that I wish for Wise to be a bit faster... and quieter

xZhongCheng likes this.
  13. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I just had a first hickup with the new gripper. All of a sudden the whole machine went crazy and did no longer properly respond to the buttons. After a couple of measurements it turned out that the release switch PCB created a permanent short from time to time. The soldering points didn't look very nice, so I re-soldered them and so far it looks as that solved the issue.

Overall I feel like the release switch design is the only thing that could be improved. It feels a bit wobbly and doesn't have the crispness that I would like to have.

DarthHowie, kwun, thyrif and 3 others like this.
  14. kaffars

kaffars Regular Member

Geologist
    A bit unrelated.

Are there any videos / guides on doing maintenance on the wise? I have seen some pics of guys on here taking it apart but if there was some guide or video would appreciate if I can make it smoother / quieter to also extend its life!

15. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    Oh no....What more can I add to my Gamma 6004.... (chudek supports, toyo clamps, xpider base clamp, wise v12). Guess i'll add this to my wish list.

Thanks for the detailed review.
    When it's time for you to clean the gripper plates let us know with some additional photos. I'm assuming it will be much easier than the old v12 where much care is needed in disassembly not to lose any bearings or the 2 small springs.

s_mair likes this.
  16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That is such a tastefully upgraded machine. I think that new gripper will fit in nicely. :D

17. DarthHowie

Resistance is futile. Maybe a next year purchase. I'll have to post my "how i started stringing story" on Alan's thread eventually.

thyrif and kakinami like this.
  18. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

The force is strong with you! =P

Sent from my SC-01L using Tapatalk

19. DarthHowie

great...more peer pressure. =P. I've already told @s_mair that I'll save this for a 2023 purchase.

20. Tennisman

Tennisman Regular Member

DarthHowie likes this.