Astrox 99 vs Astrox 88D

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by AznDude, Sep 17, 2018.

1. AznDude

AznDude Regular Member

Hello,

I am thinking of buying one of these two rackets, I think 4U (since it is for doubles).

Can anyone give some suggestions?

2. Michel Aupin

Michel Aupin Regular Member

I suggest to try them first ! :)
    There is a lot of hate and love with this ax99. Some says it is too much HH, others says it is HH like 88D. Overall, 99 feels stronger but slower than 88D. My ax99 4u moves and hit like a 3u racket. I feel 88D is fast for a HH racket, pretty strong too and it is easier to play than 99. For double, 88D win.

insanity and llrr like this.
  3. llrr

llrr Regular Member

This is a pretty accurate description of the 99 I would say. Although if you get the one that feels similar to the 88D it's not slower at all.

4. keinen980511

keinen980511 Regular Member

Astrox 88D. Doubles' Redefined.

Sent from my FRD-L19 using Tapatalk

5. ramkrishr

ramkrishr New Member

Have been playing with 88D for few weeks now. It’s very unforgiving if ones technique is not correct. Still adjusting to the racquet. When played with good technique can feel the difference in my game. No experience with 99 though.

dtjovan likes this.
  6. AznDude

AznDude Regular Member

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews and lots of mixed feelings.

- I've read from a few people that 4U 88D does not have enough power, its very good at generating lets say 70-80% power output with 50% energy input (its very efficient) but not great for all out powerful smashes.

- I've read that the 3U 88D has better smashing power but the racket is too heavy and slow for doubles, a lot of people would not recommend it.

-People say the 4U 99 has better smashing power, and it is not too slow for doubles, but theres lots of QC issues with the Astrox 99, some people get a really heavy one, some people get a lighter one.

4U 88D vs 3U 88D vs 4U 99.

7. llrr

llrr Regular Member

It really depends on what you want from a racquet..

8. AznDude

AznDude Regular Member

88D 3U or 4U?

9. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

88D vs 99, 2:0 and counting..............................

Manong and Sudhan like this.
  10. llrr

llrr Regular Member

More like Ginting vs Momota 2:0 and counting..

11. victor_Rukawa

victor_Rukawa Regular Member

i have that racket all 4u

power : 88d < 99
    speed : 88d > 99
    solid : 88d < 99
    head heavy : 88d < 99

astrox 88 D for double, astrox 99 for single
    sometimes i use 88D for single and i feel comfortable too, but i can't use astrox 99 for double (tiring my arm too much)

keinen980511 likes this.
  12. robinc

robinc Regular Member

A racket cannot differentiate single or double game. What do players want from their racket is the main consideration and whether players have the abilities to handle that characteristic to their competitive advantage is another concern.

Things doesn't function like video games. You equipped yourself with AX99 and then suddenly your smash becomes incredibly good and powerful. When one provide such feedback that a certain racket improves one's techniques and game, there are other information not revealed.

Buying a racket is always tricky. Reading feedback from people you don't know is equally tricky. AX99 and AX88d are high-end rackets and their racket qualities are very good. It is easy to own one but to utilitise one is not that straight forward.

When you narrow to this two rackets, i suppose you know what you want from them and what features they tend to deliver. Since you want a racket for double, just go for AX88d which is market as double racket. Why even take risk to go away from manufacter's recommendation?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

13. magicaluni123

magicaluni123 Regular Member

4U -

For doubles, get 88D. AX99 is good, but 88D is faster without losing power. Power comes from technique, very little from racquet. Yes you can feel the difference between a BS12 and the Z Force 2, but if you give a coach both racquets, they will hit pretty much just as hard.

14. frostcone

frostcone Regular Member

Looks like there's a lot of variation between ax88d and ax99. 99 is supposed to be head heavier than 88d but the 88d I tried seems more head heavy and tiring than the ax99 I tried...both 4u. Is this true?

15. robinc

robinc Regular Member

There are non-conclusive feedback that some AX99 is headlight compared to 88d. It is possible, however, error from individual could not be eliminated as well.

Hence, if you based purely from manufacturer's specification between AX99 and 88d. The difference between them is marginal. 99 having full NAMD. Therefore, the difference is relatively small. By default, 99 is suppose to be head heavier than 88d, hence, slightly slower performance in side swing/drive; speed & drive are usual tactics used in advance double play, resulting in a general rule of thumb that 99 is more single racket than double.

You did not provide information if the 88d and 99 are using same string and tension or both racket are using different string and tension. The difference in the type of string tension can directly influence your physical exhaustion in a game.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

16. AznDude

AznDude Regular Member

It seems like a lot of people who post on this forum use 4U rackets. I've used 3U armortechs and voltrics my entire life, Ive never tried 4U, which is why my original post suggested 4U, but maybe I should just stick to 3U

17. Manong

Manong Regular Member

MIS Engineer

Main reason as why they would play 4u I think would be for fast paced doubles game. the one with so much fast drives, the one you would normally see in a professional doubles matches. I myself cannot do that so I used pretty much 3u rackets because doubles in my club/area is quite slow paced. :oops: and originally I play singles so my doubles tactics isn't that refined well. :p

18. ramkrishr

ramkrishr New Member

I used to play with a 3U HH racket. Moved to 4u as my wrists are no longer stronger as they used to be. Choice of 4u or 3u also depends on how one can cope with wrist getting tired during the game. End of the day it's personal preference.

Sent from my CPH1729 using Tapatalk

Manong likes this.
  19. AznDude

AznDude Regular Member

I went to the store and dry swung these rackets, the 99 feels a lot more headheavy then the 88D. normally people compare 4U vs 4U and 3U vs 3U. but im curious because the 99 is so much head heavier, i won't be able to play doubles with a 3U 99. so if i buy 99, it would be 4U, but 88D I could play with 3U.

Does anyone have any comparison between 4U 99 and 3U 88D? weight is supposed to add some power but be slower, how does the power and speed compare

20. brentjohner

brentjohner New Member

Professional Racquet Stringer
    I suggest that you find a store or pro shop that allows you to test drive both racquets and then try them for yourself. Most good pro shops will do that.